Stem Cell Therapy Overview
- In this procedure, bone marrow blood is removed from the pelvis, is minimally processed, and injected into the patient’s problem area(s) to improve joint or tendon pain.
- The bone marrow blood is extracted under a local anesthetic, ensuring the patient’s comfort during the procedure.
- Next, the bone marrow blood is minimally processed by a licensed perfusionist using a special centrifuge to separate the stem cells from blood platelets.
- The harvested cells and platelets are then injected into the patient’s target area using ultrasound-guidance.
- The patient’s own (autologous) stem cells and platelet-rich plasma will work to stimulate the healing process of tissue that is already present.
- Please note that Stem Cell Therapy is not FDA approved and is not covered by insurance.
- If the product comes directly from the patient, it is an autograft. If the product comes from donated tissue, it is an allograft. In some cases, biologic materials may also be a combination of synthetic and biologic materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nebraska Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine has decades of experience providing the latest in orthopaedic procedures. We offer the entire range of treatments from conservative to surgical. The doctors at Nebraska Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine can help you choose the best treatment for YOU. Many clinics offering stem cell treatments for orthopaedic conditions are NOT orthopaedic doctors. When considering a clinic for stem cell treatment, you need to consider a doctor’s training and experience. Nebraska Orthopaedic & Sports Medicine is the only orthopaedic clinic in the region offering this exciting procedure.
Patients between the ages of 18-64 who have seen a physician for their condition and have exhausted all non-surgical measures (physical therapy, NSAIDs, cortisone injections, bracing, etc.) are ideal for Stem Cell Therapy
Because this is a newer treatment, the long-term outcomes are not fully understood and no guarantees can be made regarding outcomes.
Patients can expect to feel results over 1-3 months, although in some circumstances, relief may take as long as 6-9 months.
- Because Stem Cell Therapy is a new procedure, insurance will not cover the costs of the procedure.
- The average cost per procedure is around $3,000.00. Most centers performing a similar procedure charge $5,000.00 – $15,000.00.
- The initial evaluation to determine your eligibility for Stem Cell Therapy will be billed to your insurance.
To schedule an appointment with Scott Swanson, MD, call (402) 488-3322. Dr. Swanson will assess you at an initial office visit to determine whether stem cell therapy is right for you.